With Paknet confirming it will close its services on 31st March 2022, Meter Operators must ensure they have plans in place to replace Paknet communication services.
The Half-Hourly Electricity Metering Forum discussed the closure of Paknet and the steps our Members are taking to ensure minimum impact on end-consumers. Some sites using Paknet will have communication alternatives available but others that are remote or offshore may not and will instead require a full meter exchange.
Due to current supply chain issues experienced across the industry with meter component availability, some sites may require manual reads until the meter shortage issue dissipates. Our Members have service continuity plans in place and are working with data collectors to ensure minimal disruption to end consumers.
AMO Members are contacting consumers who may be impacted by the shutdown of Paknet.
If you have any question regarding this post, please contact AMO@gemserv.com.
Read AMO Consultant Tom Chevalier‘s post on reverse running meters, published in the March 2022 issue of Engineering Institute of Technology Letters to the Editor.
Our official LinkedIn page will launch on Monday 7th February 2022!
Follow us for interesting news and insight on all things metering.
Association of Meter Operators: About | LinkedIn
AMO will be holding it’s Annual General Meeting from Monday 14th to Tuesday 15th March 2022 at Ashorne Hill Conference Centre, Leamington Spa.
A host of expert speakers are lined up to give insight to various topics of interest to AMO Members. Contact AMO@gemserv.com to reserve your place now.
We all know the metering industry is in constant change, the next few months are no exception. One of the biggest changes happens in September 2021. This is when the Retail Energy Code v2 goes live, at that point all gas & electricity meter operators under whichever acronym will become Meter Equipment Managers (MEMs).
- MEMs will accede to REC in their own right, that provides direct accountability.
- MEMs will have a new Performance Assurance regime that must be complied with
- MEMs will have a new Qualification & Maintenance regime that must be complied with,
- REC will have its own Change Control function which will dispense with numerous, endless working groups,
- REC will consult with stakeholders about changes – but not at a REC hosted meeting.
The AMO has been engaging with REC for several months with a lot of success, this engagement will increase to cover all the bullets above. As a Trade Association we will be consulted on all changes that affect MEMs.
The above is just the actions we’re taking on REC – but what else are we engaged with influencing and shaping:
- Using hydrogen
- EV charging
- Changing the rules for the fitting of isolators
- Faster Switching
- Solar and PV installation best practice
Recent achievements of the AMO:
- DSEAR Reference Document
- Asbestos Reference Document
- Cut-out glossary
- Assisting BEIS with Safer Working in Homes during the pandemic.
And all this whilst representing members and being the critical friend of the industry:
- Chairing MAMCOP
- Chairing MOCOPA
- Assisting BSC Performance Assurance Board
- Assisting BEIS Groups on Health & Safety, Pandemic remobilisation, Smart Meter Installation
- Assisting SECAS operational groups
- Assisting Elexon/BSC groups
- Assisting SMICOP
- Assisting DCUSA Groups
The AMO is open to all MEMs across both fuels and aims to have representation at REC meetings as we already do with MRA, SPAA, SEC etc.
If you want to have your voice heard, join the AMO, we guarantee we will listen.
A single voice representing the many.
To aid with the smart meter roll-out in domestic new build properties, SMIP has published new guidance for developers and architects, and relevant to all those involved in the specification of metering locations in new build premises, especially multiple dwelling units, to aid the successful installation and operation of smart meters.
This document covers the following topics:
- Relative positioning of electricity and gas smart meters in consumer premises
- Housing of gas smart meters
- Relevant existing guidance
In memory of Mike Ross, Jemma Johnson is raising funds for Mind by doing a 12 hour hike through the Yorkshire countryside. To find out more, please follow the link to her JustGiving page.
Please note that the Smart Metering Forum (SMF) which was to be held on Thursday 26th March 2020 has been cancelled.