I need help with my energy bills, what should I do? 

Contact your energy Supplier, they can help you with energy efficiency advice and bill support schemes.

You can also access independent advice using these links:

Ofgem – Help with bills guide

Citizens Advice – England

Citizens Advice – Scotland

Citizens Advice – Wales

Energy UK  – Customer support 

National Energy Action – Help & support

Gov.uk – Help for Households

How do I use my smart meter in home display device? 

Citizens Advice has produced a useful guide to cover all types of in home displays.

Using your smart meter’s in-home display – Citizens Advice

What is a Meter Operator? 

A Meter Operator (MOP), also sometimes referred to as a Meter Equipment Manager (MEM), is a certified company that is appointed by an energy Supplier to install, maintain and remove metering equipment for domestic and business energy customers.  To be a MOP, a company must be certified and operating in accordance with the governance arrangements, technical standards and safety obligations in place for the energy industry.

Who is my Meter Operator? 

Meter Operators can also be referred to as Meter Equipment Managers. Your current energy Supplier for your property should be able to inform you who your appointed Meter Operator is. Sometimes these are referred to by their Market Participant Identifier (MPID). A register of MPIDs can be found at ELEXON list of Qualified Persons.

What are Smart Meters? 

Information on smart meters can be found on the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) website; this has both consumer facing information and industry stakeholder information. Smart Energy GB also provides further information about smart meters via its website.

Do I get charged for changing a prepayment meter to a credit meter? 

You need to speak to your energy supplier who will arrange for the meter operator to visit and change the meter, or reconfigure it remotely where this is possible. Some suppliers charge for changing the meter.

I don't use any gas but have to pay standing charges? 

Ofgem has issued advice on the options available to households that use no gas. The advice can be found here:  https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/open-letter-treatment-domestic-households-do-not-use-gas

My meter box is damaged, what do I do? 

The meter box is regarded as the property of the customer, so any damage should be repaired by the customer to ensure the metering equipment is properly protected against the environment. Energy suppliers can arrange for repairs on a chargeable basis, or the customer can purchase replacement parts through builder merchants or suppliers such as www.ritherdon.co.uk or www.meterboxes.co.uk or www.meterboxesdirect.co.uk.

I am looking for a competent registered electrician? 

The Registered Competent Person Electrical single mark and register went live on 30th June 2014 and was officially launched in Parliament on 2nd July 2014. It was created following an agreement between all Government-approved electrical Competent Person Scheme Operators in England and Wales. The single mark and register aims to raise awareness of electrical safety in the home by simplifying the task of finding and checking a competent, registered electrician. The register can be accessed here. All electrical enterprises listed and permitted to display the mark are registered to undertake work on domestic electrical installations under the Competent Person Scheme, introduced by the Government, to allow individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations. These electricians meet strict qualification requirements and their work is regularly assessed by their electrical Competent Person Scheme Operator to ensure their ongoing competence. The list of Government-approved electrical Competent Person Scheme Operators, their requirements, and how they are authorised can be found here. This mark and register is open to all competent, registered electrical installers in England and Wales undertaking work for householders.

I am a landlord whose tenants have had a prepayment meter installed, how do I get the prepayment meter changed to a credit meter? 

You will need to contact the former energy supplier; you can then discuss the best approach, either to keep the prepayment meter in place with you taking on the payment of the energy account until the premises are re-let, or changing/reprogramming the meter to a credit meter. The decision will often depend upon the best payment arrangements for the future tenants. If the previous tenants have left without paying the final charges to the energy supplier, the energy supplier may ask for your assistance in obtaining their forwarding address.

I am an electrician, can I have permission to remove the cut-out fuse to fit an isolator switch or change a consumer unit? 

No. To remove the cut-out fuse is not only dangerous but can leave you and/or the property owner liable to prosecution for energy theft, as the security seals will be broken.  Go to DCUSA for de-energisation FAQs available to assist electricians.

I am a large electricity customer that is having half hourly metering fitted, why do I have to sign an agreement to provide metering separate from the energy supply? 

The metering agreement is between yourself (as premises owner/tenant) and your chosen Meter Operator. This agreement only describes the obligations associated with the installation and maintenance of metering equipment and its associated communications equipment. The Meter Operator agreements may last five years or more and enables you to independently select an energy supplier who can give you best value at the time of the agreement. Contact a member listed on the AMO Members page.

Can I own my own electricity meter? 

Yes, the requirement is enshrined in the revisions to the Electricity Act 1989, which now states: “An authorised supplier may refuse to allow one of his customers to provide a meter only if there are reasonable grounds for his refusal.” Customers procuring their own meters has been normal practice for larger electricity customers operating with half hourly meters since 1994. It is becoming increasingly common for customers (generally non-domestic) who are contracting directly with a Meter Operator for the provision of a ‘smart’ electricity meter. Smart meters generally provide half hourly data for energy management purposes and have communications so that regular accurate meter readings can be provided to the energy supplier.

Can I own my own gas meter? 

Yes, the facility for a gas consumer to provide their own meter is enshrined in the revisions to the Gas Act 1986. It is more common for larger Industrial customers who have the engineering capability to manage the maintenance of such equipment. Smaller gas consumers are permitted to own (or to arrange for provision of) their own gas meter but must also ensure that it is properly maintained to ensure its safety and accuracy. A gas supplier may ask for evidence that the meter is properly maintained before agreeing to supply and use the meter readings for billing.

Can I connect a data-logger or energy management device to the gas meter? 

Yes, if you obtain the permission of the meter operator. It is becoming increasingly common for customers (generally non-domestic) to connect a logging device to an existing gas meter. These devices normally have communications so that regular accurate meter readings can be provided for energy management. The meter operator may require you to sign an agreement for the connection of ancillary equipment; this helps to ensure that the equipment is compatible with the meter, is safe and is correctly installed. The AMO has a template for such agreements.

I am disabled and cannot read my meter, can I get it moved? 

Yes – Part III of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 requires all those providing a service to make reasonable adjustments in providing their services. Schedule 6, para 1 of the Electricity Act 1989, says: “Where an electricity supplier, for the purpose of meeting the needs of a disabled person – (a) alters the position of any electricity meter provided by him for a customer of his; or (b) replaces such a meter with one which has been specially adapted, the supplier shall not charge the customer for the alteration or replacement.” Schedule 2B, para 6 of the Gas Act 1986 has similar wording. So any changes should be done free of charge – contact your energy supplier.

I want to know the energy supplier for an address? 

For electricity, please call the relevant electricity distribution company enquiry line: Distribution enquiry line.

To find out who supplies the gas of a property, visit the Meter Point Administration Service’s (MPAS) Find My Supplier portal. Alternatively, call MPAS on 0870 608 1524 (charges will be applied of 7p per minute plus your provider’s access charge).

How can I get my meter moved? 

Contact your electricity or gas supplier who will arrange for their appointed metering company to do the work. Never attempt to move the meter yourself, it is dangerous and can lead to prosecution.

How do I report suspected meter tampering? 

Meter tampering is not only illegal but it is extremely dangerous. If you know someone who has tampered with their meter, or is attempting to defraud their electricity or gas supplier, please contact The United Kingdom Revenue Protection Association (UKRPA) or Crimestoppers.

Phone: 0207 090 1070
Fraud Reporting: https://ukrpa.co.uk/report-energy-fraud/

Phone: 0800 023 2777
Fraud Reporting: https://www.stayenergysafe.co.uk/report-energy-crime/

If I need any meter work can I arrange for a timed appointment? 

Yes. When access is required to perform metering work, and the customer needs to be present, metering companies are required to offer a morning or afternoon or, if required a timed appointment within a two hour period. See: Electricity SI698:2010 Regulation 19 Gas 1135:2005 Regulation 6 (as amended).

If my appointment for meter work is cancelled, can I get compensation? 

Yes. When an appointment is cancelled without one working day’s notice, subject to some exceptions, then a fixed payment will be made to the customer. See: Electricity SI698:2010 Regulation 19 Gas 1135:2005 Regulation 6 (as amended).

What metering is appropriate for a small generator - less than 3kW size, e.g. Photo-voltaic panels or small wind turbine? How do I get the metering installed? 

Contact your energy supplier (or purchaser) of electricity for details of the metering they require. AMO Members may be able to advise of the costs for installing metering. Further information can be found on the Ofgem website and from the Electricity Safety Council guidance note.

I have microgeneration (solar, wind of CHP) fitted - should my meter run backwards? 

No, the meter should be changed. The AMO has published technical details on our Stakeholder Info page. Ofgem has also published guidance. Please get in contact with your energy Supplier or appointed Meter Operator.

I think my meter is inaccurate? 

If you have concerns about your meter accuracy then speak to your energy supplier. Most concerns about meter accuracy, after investigation, are not actually problems with the meter. After discussion with the supplier a formal determination can be arranged. Typically, if the meter is found to be accurate the customer will be charged for the investigation. The government’s Office for Product Safety and Standards NMO Technical Services publishes further information and statistics which demonstrate that over 90% of meters submitted for test are accurate.